This dish brings back childhood memories. My Grandmother has served this salad at every family celebration. The ingredients grew in her fruit and vegetable garden. Her chickens provided fresh eggs.
The salad likes to be prepared a day in advance, so that it can “ripen” overnight in the refrigerator. It tastes best with grilled meats.
I wish you all a lot of fun with cooking and say Smacznego!
Classic Polish vegetable salad
- 2 carrots
- 2 parsnips
- an approximately thumb thick, disc sized, slice of a celery root
- 3 potatoes
- 4 hard-boild eggs
- 1 apple
- 2 pickled cucumbers
- 1 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1 can of peas
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 3-4 tbsp mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
- Clean, wash and peel carrots, parsnips and celery root. Cook together in one pot until soft. Then let the vegetables cool down.
- Wash the potatoes and boil with the peel untill tender. Allow to cool. Then peel.
- Strain the peas.
- Finely dice vegetables, potatoes. eggs, apple and the pickled cucumbers.
- Combine all ingredients and season with salt and pepper.
- If you like, decorate before serving.